Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lip Service



I left the house one day a while back and when I got in the car I thought, “I didn’t kiss Florence good bye!” So, back in the house I scamper …

“Did I kiss you good bye?”

“Yeah, you did.”

“Well, my mind wasn’t in it.”

So I kissed her again making sure this time that my mind was in it! 

My wife is a very gracious woman who thankfully knows me well and loves me still. But the whole experience reminded me once again of just how easy it is to simply go through the motions.

Sometimes it happens when we’re stressing over all the things we have pressing on our minds, in which case it isn’t really a conscious kind of thing. That can make it easy to justify. But, we are called to live examined lives. The fact that we are prone to these things doesn’t mean that we are not responsible to do something about it. That’s what repentance is all about and it isn’t a one time kind of thing but a way of life. Search our hearts Lord and show us the way so that we aren’t just going through the motions.  

“The Lord says: ‘These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.’”  Isa 29:13a

No comments:

Post a Comment