Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shout

Isn’t it interesting how you can think about things without really thinking about them?! I mean that it is common for us to think about things without really thinking through the implications of what they really mean or are really all about.

In the church, we sing the worship song ‘Shout To The Lord’. It is taken from Scriptures that we have read a number of times. And yet, I have to say that I don’t recall really thinking that through in the past as to what it is all about.

Shouting is generally not a good thing to do. I have often when speaking to couples given the advice that the only time a child should hear a raised voice in a home is when there is a fire. But now I’m having to rethink that advice because there is at least one other time that it would be good and that is in times of pure, unadulterated excitement of joy!

The Bible says shout to the Lord. Isn’t that fascinating! Why would God want us to shout to Him? It isn’t because He has poor hearing and it isn’t because we are mad at Him or because there is a fire somewhere that we want Him to know about. Then why? What good reason could there be?

I can only really think of one and the implications are truly profound - God wants us to be appropriately excited (read ‘pumped’) about what He does in our lives. That thought challenges me to the core of my being. What about you? Think about it. When’s the last time you shouted to the Lord?

7 comments:

  1. You were shouting to the Lord last Sunday, Steve. :) That was a great song that you sang and neither one of us had heard it before.
    God bless, Val/Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I guess I did get a little intense but with that song it is definitely called for... since I met Him I can see!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have to say that I have found it unnerving a bit that we can scream and shout and cheer at the top of our lungs (and raise our hands I may add) at a concert or sporting event but for some reason we seem so reserved, and sometimes outright "blah", when it comes to worshipping the Lord of all creation who gave EVERYTHING to save us. (And yes, can tend to be as guilty of that as the next person)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I thought about that as well. Not that we would want to paint our faces all up or anything but some exuberance would be called for eh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when we are true believers God paints our face a nice vibrant glow already for us!!..I do like the idea of shouting with joy though too..I am ready to meet my maker someday and practice rising to heaven by jumping on my lawn ...so I am nice aready for that glorious day and will have a good headstart over everyone else..hah!! lol....
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, you personify the joy of the Lord. And I can picture you jumping on your lawn! I enjoy the image... glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed going back and reading the comments that I've missed, along with Steve's blog. These ones remind me of why I love that song, "I Can Only Imagine." ...will we fall at His feet, shout, dance ??? will we be able to speak at all? but, we can praise Him here in whatever way He leads us...all is good.

    ReplyDelete