Monday, November 24, 2008

My Weather, My Wife, My World


Welcome to winter. A narrow band of snow has been sitting over our area for days now. While most of Nova Scotia has some, we have more than 2 feet of the white stuff, and even as I type this I’m watching it come down still!

It has really caused me to think lately about how much the weather is a part of our lives here in Nova Scotia. Being a maritime region that juts out into the Atlantic makes for lots of weather. And then, on top of that, our more northern location bring the winter upon us each year. It is no wonder we obsess about it really. It seems that everything we do is effected by it.

I have to tell you a story. Yesterday, late in the day, Florence and I were cuddled up to the fire in our home watching it snow. After a period of silence, she says, “I love winter.” And then she adds, “Don’t you?”. I say, “Well, I don’t much like shoveling snow and chipping ice and driving in slush and …”, to which she responds, “Yeah, you’re right. I hate winter.”

Sometimes I don’t know how she puts up with me really. I do know I am so thankful for her and I shutter to think what I would be like if God hadn’t brought this positive source of joy into my life. I guess this post isn’t so much about the weather as it is about her. Or is it about me? Yeah, I think it’s about me and how difficult this attitude thing is.

I think back to Saturday when I wrote … “I began by pushing the broom across the roof. When I did, it made a tunnel through the snow and the thought that immediately ran through my mind was – this is perfect snow for digging snow tunnels and building snow forts and…” Maybe there is hope for me yet!

I took this picture on my way home this morning after driving Florence to work. I didn’t want her driving on those roads today because I still have summer tires on the car.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment