Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Good Laugh



With all of the big intense things happening in our world these days it can be hard not to focus on them. In
fact, we can even feel guilty for not allowing them to fill up our thoughts. We can feel ‘insensitive’ or ‘out of touch’ if we are talking about other things that might seem trivial in comparison to some of these ‘larger’ stories. You know the ones I mean.

But here is something really important about our God. He is so big that He can be on top of everything, the big and small alike. While He is most certainly aware and involved in global issues of catastrophic impact, He also sees each tear you cry. He has the hairs on your head numbered. He sees the tiny sparrow fall.

And there is a sense of balance in all of this. Because sometimes we need the mental break that comes from some of the more trivial matters of life, whether that’s doing the laundry or having a good laugh.

Laughter is an important case in point. God created us with a sense of humor. I think we have all (I hope we have anyway) been entertained by that delightful video of the quadruplet babies on the bed with their mom laughing at their silly dad. To laugh is to take things lightly. And sometimes we need that. Don’t get me wrong. We don’t take God lightly, but we need to learn not to take ourselves so serious. And the Bible does tell us to make light of our troubles.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.    2Cor 4:16,17

Is it too much to say that laughter is biblical. I don’t think so…

“When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, ‘The Lord has done great things for them.’ The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.”    Psa 126:1-3

And as for the big stuff? Well, it’s rather comforting to remember that there are no big things for God.

And, for those who haven’t seen the video or just want to watch it again (it’s only 1 minute long) here’s a link to provide you with your daily laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I love that video!! .. Always makes me chuckle!! "Laughter is a smile that burst ".. Love that quote.. In my world I cry when I am overjoyed and laugh when I'm in despair .. I know weird eh? But I'm sure I'm not alone!! .. God must have a sense of humor if he allowed the invention of pantyhose! Lol! Am I right ladies!!? Lol. Great blog as always!! Thanks ..Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a strong conviction Andrea that those who don't have the capacity to laugh well don't weep well either because they aren't very much in touch with their feelings. So when the Bible tells us to 'rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep', well ...

    ReplyDelete