Thursday, February 7, 2013

Just Plane Foolish



What a fiasco eh! I’m 53 years old, so when I hear about someone my own age acting like a toddler it does get my attention. Really, it gets everyone’s attention! Kind of ironic that the only one of the family of four that apparently didn’t get involved in the childish behaviour was the youngest who is still a teenager!  

Of course, I’m talking about the McNeil family from Mabou. David McNeil, along with son David Jr. (a chip off the old block for sure) and wife Donna, have become the butt (pardon the pun) of the joke worldwide this week. Boarding a flight for the Dominican then smoking in the bathroom, arguing with the flight crew and refusing to tell authorities what they had done with the cigarette butts, causing the whole plane load of vacationers to be detoured and delayed resulting in the loose of an entire day of precious vacation time for everyone, not to mention the financial cost incurred by the airline and others… It has all been just too much hasn’t it?  

Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you and sets a really bad example for young people. And everyone knows that smoking in a confined public space like a plane is absolutely unacceptable. But this story goes way beyond that doesn’t it! It is much more about the contempt shown for authority and the complete disregard for anyone but themselves. It’s about the unbelievable immaturity that was so vividly on display. Wow!

But then again, the news wasn’t that much different from what we hear coming out of Hollywood pretty much every day. So, I guess what makes this story special is that these are supposedly just plain folks; just plane foolish.  

“When I was a boy in my father’s house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, he taught me and said, ‘Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor.”  Proverbs 4:3-9

4 comments:

  1. Very little wisdom, even less respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a frequent traveller, I unfortunately see this type of behaviour far too often in airports and on the planes. Not the smoking part (counting that blessing), but the rudeness and self-entitlement. In this case, it was not only rudeness, but if they were actually smoking on the plane, the danger posed to other passengers by the increased risk of an on-board fire resulting from a smouldering cigarette.

    We all get short-tempered and tired from time to time; I know I do! Whether travelling or standing in line at the grocery store or wherever I may be, I try to remember that no matter how tired and grumpy I might be, my "need" (desire) to get where I'm going is no greater or more important than anyone else's and there is little that the person behind the counter or welcoming me onto the plane can do to get me there faster. In fact, I've found that by digging down for some patience and a smile, that, almost every time, staff (anywhere - airports, hotels, restaurants, shops) are willing to go the extra mile whenever they can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Dawn. I appreciate that coming from someone who a) has clocked the number of air miles as you have and b) shows such restraint and grace in your life. An old friend of mine who has been gone for a few years now was always fond of saying, "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar".
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said guys. Thanks to the Awesome Lord we serve for equipting us with what we need to cope and get through and deal with our earthly issues. Praise and glory to The Lord on high.

      Delete