Monday, May 14, 2012

The Parable Of The Steering Wheel


Life is like a highway and as you’re driving along one day, not really sure where you’re going, you meet Jesus. Aware that you are lost, you stop and invite Him into your car (life). Jesus climbs onto the passenger seat and, before you know it, you’re speeding off together down the road to adventure. Of course, your new passenger has some very strong opinions about where you should be going, and the places you should be steering clear of, so within no time at all it seems that your life has taken on a whole new direction! So, the difference that this new Navigator has made in your life is nothing short of amazing, but then one day you get an even more profound thought! “Jesus shouldn’t just be in my life, He should be the Lord of my life! Jesus shouldn’t just be my co-pilot but my pilot!” So, eventually, in one final act of ultimate submission, you pull over to the side of the road and invite Jesus to take the wheel. Which, of course, the ever obliging Jesus does, so now He is fully in control and you are along for the ride of your life!    

With apologies to Carrie Underwood, this does not really depict spiritual truth. I think we can say that certain parts of the story do reflect reality. Jesus doesn’t want to be just in my life. He deserves to be Lord of my life. This is true for sure. However, we need to be careful how we understand this truth.

For those of you who are partial to it, I’m not trying to be critical of the popular song. When it comes to the arts, we have to allow for a certain amount of ‘poetic license’ and I understand that. I am more concerned that we have a proper understanding of what it means to surrender our lives to God. Yielding the direction of your life to the Lord is not analogous to ‘removing your hands from the wheel’. In fact, to remove your hands from the steering wheel of your life does not fit with the biblical directive at all. For one thing, it implies that you become totally passive, merely a passenger in your own life. I will remind you here that part of the fruit of the Spirit is ‘self-control’ (Galatians 5). A failure to keep a firm grip on the wheel is analogous to reckless endangerment.

What am I saying? It isn’t the steering wheel that Jesus wants, He wants your ear and your heart. He doesn’t want you to be just along for the ride, He wants you to learn how to steer. He doesn’t want to be your chauffeur, He wants to be your Driving Instructor. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a good point Steve, and one that I know that I have struggled with in the past and still do sometimes. I do still find times however, when I still hand the wheel over to Him. Those are usually the times that I am finding it almost too hard to continue on "driving". That I just don't have the strength myself any longer, even with His guidance and I just have to give myself to Him entirely and trust that He'll take over for a while until I'm strong enough again to go. It's those moments in my life when I find that I'm coasting through on "auto pilot" and then I realize that He has gently taken the wheel from me, to guide me until I come through. I will confess that when I'm on the other side, Ms. Underwood plays a little tune in my ear, and it is tempting to just let Him drive all the time. I'm finding as I grow stronger in my Faith and my relationship with Him, that less and less do I need Him to drive me. I'm finding now that there is that familiar, comforting pressure of His hands over mine, as we navigate the way together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that too is a good point Chris. There are times ...

    I have a painting (you may have seen it) of a young man behind a ship's wheel and a larger than life Jesus is behind him with one hand on his shoulder and the other pointing out the way. I have always found that picture to be reassuring.

    ReplyDelete