Thursday, February 9, 2012

Merging


I was merging into 100 k traffic yesterday. I was in the process of getting my speed up to 100 k, which of course is only proper and safe for merging into 100 k traffic (that’s why it’s called ‘merging’), when I began to realize that the person in front of me who was almost ready to merge was doing about 50 k. I considered pulling out early but as I looked back over my shoulder there was a car driving in the inside lane of the two lane highway with the outside lane completely free. So, I applied my breaks and slowed back down watching the two cars ahead of me jostle for a place on the inside lane. Then I pulled onto the highway behind the two of them, going about 50 kilometers an hour, and muttering some comments about the amazing incompetence all around me.

It only lasted for a quick moment before I checked myself. I know Lord. My impatience with others around me is unacceptable. And more than that, it’s a sign of my lack of faith in You. I have thought and written about this many times, perhaps more than any other thing. If I am 10 seconds back on the highway from where I might otherwise be, if it weren’t for someone else who is struggling to learn how to operate a motor vehicle, then maybe God has me right where He wants me. And maybe He will use that somehow to make all the difference in my life one way or another. Or, maybe He will even use it to preserve my life.

Lord, please help me to have the right attitude about the circumstances of my life and especially for the people around me. I want for my faith to be in You at all times so that I can reflect the peace and the security that comes from knowing that You are ultimately in control and that I am in Your will.

2 comments: