Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lostness


One of my all time favourite Bible passages is the parable of the lost sheep where the Good Shepherd leaves the ninety and nine safe in the fold and goes out in search of the one who is lost. One of my all time favourite pictures is the artist’s conception of the parable with the strong and caring shepherd reaching down, staff in hand, to rescue that single lost lamb from the rocky crag and certain death. That picture has never left my mind or heart since seeing it for the first time as a young child. I have a copy of it in my study. I just love the fact that God pursues us, pursues me! Thank God for His amazing grace that He would come after me and find me in all of my lostness and rescue me and take me home.

So when I read this passage from Matthew a while back it really struck me.

10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into a man’s mouth does not make him ‘unclean,’ but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him ‘unclean.’”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Matt 15:10-14

The two words that stood when I read this recently are the first two words of verse 14 – ‘Leave them’. In other words, don’t go after them. It seems to stand in stark contradiction to the grace of God that I know, and cherish, in my life. So how does this work?

In the context of the passage these religious leaders were offended by Christ’s teaching. We know from many other passages similar to this one (as the gospels give us quite a good look at the Pharisees’ mind set) that the reason they were offended was because they resented any implication that they were not just fine the way they were, ‘thank you very much’. They were, in a word – ‘self-righteous’. They thought they were clean. As far as they were concerned they were keeping the law and thus deserving of eternal life. They would not for one second concede to being lost. And Jesus comes along and tries to shake their tree but they continued to cling to the illusion of their own moral goodness.

So what are we to take from this? I guess we could point out the difference between being lost and being lost while absolutely refusing to admit you are lost, even when the ‘Light of the World’ shows up to show you just how lost you are! (Give John 3:17-21 a read on that note.)

And then the Pharisees compounded their condemnation even further by presenting themselves as spiritual guides for everyone else. And so, Jesus’ instruction to His disciples? - ‘Leave them’!

To any ‘black sheep’ out there, be assured, Jesus is searching for you. He really is. But be thankful you’re not a goat. The Lord knows those who are His.

2 comments:

  1. I as so glad God pursued me too. His Grace is hard to comprehend sometimes.
    Jesus saying "Leave them" reminds me of Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

    When I was a new believer I didn't know this and so spent alot of time and effort telling everyone about Jesus. I didn't understand why they laughed at me and despised me because I was so happy about being found! Why didn't they want Jesus too? Why didn't they realize how lost they were? It was a huge mystery to me. I know now that the Holy Spirit will guide me as to when I need to share and when I will be wasting precious time.
    I've learned the hard way that my actions tend to speak to others far louder than anything I could say. My lifestyle choices, my response to difficult situations, how I love etc... Even self righteous people who think they have it all figured out are watching our every move. Wether we realize it or not, christians are held to higher standards and judged more harshly than those who claim not to believe in God or anything! If i'm going to be Christ's representative and speak truth into peoples lives I better make sure my actions match up with what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Rachael, I think that Matt 7:6 is certainly a truth in the same vein, and yes, the world is watching. It has always amazed me that the same Jesus who said "I am the light of the world" would also say to His disciples "You are the light of the world".

    ReplyDelete