Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas Lights


Maya Angelou is credited with saying that, “You can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things - a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.”

Her words came to mind for me again this week as I was observing Florence while she attempted to put some Christmas lights up. I don’t do Christmas lights normally. I love them up, but lack the patience to work with them. My sweet wife on the other hand amazes me with her patience. I only observed a short while, then I had to walk away. It was just too painful to watch.

I agree that these types of things have a lot to say about us, but what is it that they are in fact saying? I think all of these types of minor frustrations (for they are far too insignificant to be referred to as trials!) are a general indication of a lacking in our faith. When you consider that Jesus admonished the disciples for worrying about things like food and clothing (see Matthew 6), what does that say about my attitude when it comes to the little inconveniences in my life? It isn’t good.

The Bible says that the trial of our faith creates patience in us (see James 1). All I can say at this time is that I am a slow learner for sure. I feel like I’m still in preschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment