Thursday, September 8, 2011

STOP!!!

God says through the voice of the Psalmist, “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psa 46:10). Have you ever wondered why or how being still is connected with knowing who God is?

This passage should speak loudly to us in the often insane busyness of so much of contemporary life. To be still is to cease activity. The Hebrew word here translated ‘be still’ comes from the term ‘raphah’. As usual, there are different shades of meaning associated with the word throughout the OT in its various forms, but it refers to something that is slack or allowed to drop. It sometimes is used of those who are disheartened or weak. When used in reference to people, it often has a negative connotation. It is not good to be a slacker or to let things drop.

So then, why would it here be issued as a command, and such an important one?

Again, this is one of those areas where truth flies on two wings. While we are called by God to be strong, we must paradoxically, recognize our weakness. We are to be responsible but the diligence God calls us to, as those made in His image, is always to be kept in perspective, for ultimately, our lives do not depend upon our own ability but upon God’s care. Jesus’ words about worry come to mind.

This is not unlike Paul’s sentiment in 2Cor 12. There Paul recounts how God spoke to him and told him, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” To which Paul responds, “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses… for when I am weak, then I am strong.”

God does not want us to excuse ourselves and neglect our obligations to be strong and to work hard and to fight the good fight. These commands are issued throughout Scripture as well. We must work hard and do our very best with each day He gives us. But, we must always make sure that we are not ‘trusting in the flesh’ but in the grace and power of God in our lives to accomplish what needs to be done. As one person put it, “Personal initiative is no substitute for reliance upon God”.

It is also significant that the context of the entire psalm (46) describes a time in a person’s (actually a nation’s) life when they are totally overwhelmed. Certainly, it can be acknowledged that no matter how diligent and skillful and persistent we are, we are not sufficient for these things.

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging… Be still and know that I am God…”
Psa 46:1-3,10a

For me, the command to be still in this passage points me to a recognition. The recognition that He is God is a necessary reminder to me that I am not. And that is something that I must remind myself of continually. I need to build regular times into my schedule when I simply stop and look up.

4 comments:

  1. This verse has special significance to me at one time. After my dad had 3 heart attacks and not expected to live, I put on a recording from the New Christian Singers from PEI. Within a song were the words of this verse and it spoke to me with special meaning, so much so, that I felt the Lord's touch and strength to continue on through this turmoil in my life as a new Christian. Therefore it is one of my favorite verses because the Lord spoke to me through it! - Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your comment Bob. Scriptures do become very special to us when God uses a particular passage to really touch our lives deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever have that feeling you get when you have wrestled with something ,....called apon the lord in pray and concentration and truly did what you felt he would like you to do and trust in him one hundred percent.... and have it work out astoundedly perfect despite all odds..and you just look up and go.....OOOHHHHHHHHHHH...right onnnnn i get it now!! wow you ARE amazing lord!!."hahaha..it is such a rush!!well imagine the complete euphoric bliss we could have and strive to have as christians in stopping and taking time to know him better... and us less...TRUSTing in him way more often !!...i think it would be amazing!! the effects unlike anything else!....anyway... isn't it great that that state of happiness was part of his original plan and still in our grasp ....imagine HEAVEN!! sorry ..it is all very exciting! haha... also one more thing... when i am weakest i see his will clearer...just from my shortcomings..and in that i get strenght...so i see what you mean! we do need both...it's like water!...so maybe us christians should not avoid God in shame when we are overwhelmed or weak but maybe put our finger to our lips(and quiet our lives) and say shhhhh ..listen ..i hear something?!! Keep going God your coming through now..... I'm listening.... ..peace!! great blog!! loved it!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got back from wood chucking Andrea so was a little late reading and posting your comment. But enjoyed your thoughts very much and your usual enthusiasm. I especially like where you speak about the times when we just need to put our finger to our lips and say shhhhhh... I think that is a really important thing we need to do, not just to stop but to listen. Right on. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete