Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Interruptions

I have spent some time lately thinking about how I handle interruptions in my life. I won’t lie. By default, they irritate me. And, of course, I have been thinking about how the biblical world-view would direct me to see them as God’s work in my life. Very convicting stuff. Am I willing to allow God to interfere with my goals by inserting His plan?

Perhaps interruptions are part of what was on the mind of the writer in Proverbs when he wrote, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.”? Do you think?

I am guilty of planning my days, most times in a way, trying to squeeze everything I can out of the clock and that means I seldom have time to spare for the ‘unexpected’. I know that’s probably where I set myself up, but I confess I struggle with this one a lot.

Anyway, a while back I read an article by Mark Galli, who is the senior managing editor of ‘Christianity Today’. I ended up clipping and saving a quote from it as it seems to give some really practical advice to help us with this. Practical is good! Here is the quote:

“Let me be clear. Punctuality and efficiency are virtues. The former is a sign of respect; the latter, of good stewardship. The problem is when these virtues begin to manage our schedules, when they take over for the Spirit. God, as Dietrich Bonheoffer points out, loves to manage our schedules by interruptions … So how to respect time, yet honor and obey King Jesus who likes to interrupt our lives? Here's one thing I'm doing: I'm trying to build into my schedule ten to fifteen-minute blocks of time so that I can feel less pressure when King Jesus taps me on the shoulder. For instance, I'm trying to get into the habit of leaving for appointments and meetings ten to fifteen minutes early. If I arrive at my breakfast early, I look for opportunities to ask the waitress a few more questions than I would normally, or I spot a friend in the restaurant and try to find out what's going on with him. And if a complete stranger approaches me and needs a listening ear or a ride or even a meal, I have the space in my day to make it happen. If no opportunity presents itself, I take it as a sign that the Lord simply wants me to spend the time quietly or in prayer. (Which I then have to remind myself is not a waste of time!)”

I really like this. I’m sure that all of us, at one time or another, have experienced the sheer pleasure of having a few minutes ‘to kill’ and then being amazed at how significant that time can become as your attention is freed up to a greatly expanded awareness; a presence of mind for who and what is going on around you. And when it happens, you know it is right. You know that this is how it is supposed to be. And I find at these times that the voice of the Holy Spirit can become so very clear. Could it be that a hectic pace can actually drown out the voice of God in your life? I think so.

I know that Mark’s advice is not likely something that I will be able to apply in my life with some kind of amazing consistency. It’s probably like everything else in that regard. But I am going to try and make a real conscious effort to put it to work as best I can when I can.

I love it when people are so practical and don’t just point out problems but actually offer tangible solutions. That is a trait I see in others that I really, really admire. When you think about it, anyone can point out problems, but it takes real insight to come up with tangible and effective measures for addressing them. Thank you Mark Galli.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a good one. Note I took time out to comment. Its worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what one can do by taking even a few seconds sometimes eh Buck. Thanks for the response.

    ReplyDelete