Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Real Dirt

I want to say first off that I am not condoning the defacing of public property. With that out of the way, I was reading one day about a guy who was in the bathroom at a popular coffee chain and he was taking notice of some of the writing on the wall. Along with all of the usual kind of stuff, someone had written “What Would Jesus Do?” there on the wall. Someone else had written directly underneath that, “Wash His hands.” A third person had written underneath that again, “And your feet.”

It is interesting that such a ‘discussion’ would take place in such a location. It is somehow made more appropriate by the fact that the dirt Jesus washed from the disciple’s feet was ‘real’ dirt. (See John 13) It wasn’t just what my mother called ‘clean dirt’ (read ‘mud’). First century Palestine wasn’t equipped with the hygienic luxuries we enjoy in our contemporary western world, and while sandals would have done a reasonable job of protecting feet from sharp rocks, they would have done little to keep out the filthy dust and dirt that would have been often unavoidable as they traveled.

Our 21st century eyes tend toward a very sanitized view of Jesus….

[Commercial Break: I highly recommend the book ‘The Jesus I Never Knew’ by Philip Yancey to help with that for those who haven’t read it. He is probably my favourite author and this is one of his best books.]

… The Lord of Glory descends to enter our world. He was born in a barn. Jesus was and is real world. He deals with our reality. He gets down into the dirty places of our living to clean. This is real life. Jesus isn’t into surface things. He’s not interested in appearance. He won’t be satisfied by anything superficial. He goes where He is needed most. He comes to our wretchedness and He brings His light with Him and His healing presence means we can never be the same. It’s humbling. It’s uncomfortable. It’s real. It’s the only hope for your soul and mine.

7 comments:

  1. really good Steve, I really enjoy your blogs

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting location is right:)Do you know if a copy of this book is in our library? Always looking for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the book 'The Jesus I Never Knew' in the FBC resource centre? Good question. I don't know. But I will find out and let you know. I don't think I even have it actually because it was a borrowed copy that I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, I checked with Brittany and there is one copy of the book in the resource centre along with a study guide. She got it to me and I have it in my office if you want to take a look at that come Sunday. Also, if anyone else is interested it could be passed around. Be ready to be wowed by the insights you will gain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "The Bible Jesus Read" by Yancey It was really eye opening and interesting to learn that the Old Testament was what Jesus read (weird I had never thought of that before) I learned alot about the Old Testament books and the psalms and gained a fresh desire to read more of the difficult books.

    I have read alot ot Yancey's books he is also one of my favorite authors. I haven't read this one you mentioned though it sounds good. I would love to read it.

    I've been thinking alot this week about God's presence in our lives and what He provided by sending His son. God with us. Jesus getting His hands dirty, dusting us off, encouraging us, advocating on our behalf to our Father.

    What would our lives look like if Jesus never came?

    What would this world be like today?

    What would our life be like without God's personal daily presence? Not what He gives us and fixes for us but what of His very presence? And if Jesus wasn't our Great High Priest interceeding for us and drawing us near? If we think our world is bad now could we imagine a world that was without the presence of God.

    Gods very presence is our reward for knowing Jesus! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rachael. You might want to get 'The Jesus I Never Knew' from Gail after she has read it. If you have appreciated Yancy's work, this one will be an amazing read for you.

    You are so right about the significance of God's presence. When it comes down to it, that is THE difference; the only thing that ultimately matters. The reason the Bible puts such emphasis upon dealing with the sin issue and forgiveness is that it clears the way for God's purpose - His presence in our lives for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duly Noted Steve...thanks.

    In my own library I have a copy of Yancey's book
    Prayer..Does it make any difference? Wonderful/insightful read..willing to share.

    ReplyDelete