Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Weddings & Elections

I’m a bit of a news junkie. Well, maybe a bit more than a bit. Florence would likely say I’m a news addict. I know that some of you don’t watch the news at all because you find it depressing. Thing is, I never watched the news before I became a Christian for the simple reason that I just didn’t care. I simply preferred to be entertained and the news is not that. After I became a follower of Christ, I quickly developed more of a conscience for the world I live in. And, as a pastor, I feel it is an important part of my responsibility as someone in leadership to actually know what’s going on! I admit that a lot of the time it is slanted, sensationalized, frustrating and all the rest (to be honest I enjoy the challenge of sorting it out). But I just can’t imagine, at least not now, living in the world without being aware of what is happening locally, regionally, nationally and globally. After all, we are all related, whether we like to acknowledge it or not. I know that now.

Lately of course, two major stories completely dominate the Canadian media – the election and the royal wedding, and not necessarily in that order. It is a bit of a fanfare that they are taking place at the same time; these two completely unrelated events. Or so it seems. It wasn’t until just recently that it dawned on me; the close correlation between the two. True, they are very different in nature and they don’t look anything alike, apart from the media blitz. But they are very related. They are both about governance. I know that they keep insisting that the wedding is not a political event, but we are talking about royalty (IE. kingdom), whether the monarchy is only a figurehead or not.

It’s fascinating to peruse world history and see this as one of the most significant and common threads that runs through life from beginning to end. We certainly have a love-hate relationship when it comes to the concept. I guess it’s quite natural really. We resent being bossed around or told what to do. But we love to think we have someone watching out for us, fighting our battles and being there when we need them to hear our cause and to hopefully take it up. We like to do our own thing but then we want someone else to blame when those things don’t work out for us the way we think they should.

When I started this post, I had no idea where I was going with it. Now, as I look back over what I have just written, I have no idea where I’m going with it! How about this - most people tend to feel the same way about God. They resent the dictatorial nature of His involvement in their lives wishing instead that He would just mind His own business so they can just do as they please. But, wow, do they ever like to blame Him for everything on the planet that doesn’t go the way they think it should; from a flat tire in the driveway to the famine in Africa. It’s kind of ironic isn’t it! We have both the need for and the resentment of authority.

I’m caused to consider, that should we take the kind of responsibility for our lives to do what is right and just and good and to really follow God’s directives in good conscience, whether we would continue to resent His ‘intrusion’, or whether we would then begin to understand His good-will and to earnestly seek His personal involvement; something He is undoubtedly waiting for. And then He will be more than just a figurehead and have more than just a title. He will actually be our King and the Lord of our lives.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting Steve..You did very well for not knowing where you are going with it when you started.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val & Wayne PriestApril 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM

    A VERY interesting commentary, Pastor Steve. We tend to be news junkies as well and agree with you regarding how the news can be slanted today in many cases. A person almost has to listen to at least two different news casts to sort out the real story. Hope you are feeling better. Pastor Doug had a terrific message but, you are always missed! You two make a great team.
    God bless, Val/Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val & Wayne. It can be important to have a variety of sources and even more important to check the sources. Some are much more bias than others. Nowhere is this more of an issue than when it comes to reporting about Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor, I have always been fascinated with good communication, within and outside the church. I agree that today we must be careful for there are many voices that are deceiving. So listening is to me a great part of the Christian life. Why? Listening helps us grow and mature. Listening helps us keep accountable. Listening helps us from being closed minded. Listening shows respect for others.It honors the words of others. There is something affirming about feeling that you've been listened to. Listening is more than hearing; it is connecting with others. It helps us know where they are coming from. Thanks for the commentary! Blessings on your day! Bob and Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very important point Bob. I am also a big fan of the immense value of listening. I believe it comes from a respect for others as well as humility. The wisdom literature emphasizes it as a major part of wisdom. Not just listening in the passive sense though but listening with God given discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thoughts on things Steve, I must confess, I get annoyed by the news so I avoid it - it overwelms me and I view the news at times through somewhat paranoid lenses (they are spoon feeding us and only telling the sides that support their adgendas etc...) I depend on my husband to keep me in the know and tell me who's who etc... Awesome point Steve on the fact that we want to be governed but when it's invasive or we are called to take action or respond in some manner ourselves we just put our head in the sand and blame. Reminds me of Job and his wife telling him to curse God and die.

    But Job replied, "You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?" So in all this, Job said nothing wrong. Job 2:10

    I have been the foolish woman - guilty of this many times. God has recently changed my heart on this limited perspective so now I can more freely say "Lord, how can I learn from this adversity - You are King and have some purpose in this etc...I can trust You...how can I use this to grow and help others for Your glory and Your kingdom purposes?"

    Perhaps I can watch some news today prayerfully and ask His opinion on matters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It isn’t easy is it Rachael. A lot of what goes on in our world is very disturbing, but as you say, we cannot bury our heads in the sand. Christ doesn’t give us that option. Our ability to do these hard things always comes back to trusting Him though doesn’t it; trusting Him to guide and protect us which allows us to move forward in faith.

    “We are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.” Heb 10:39

    ReplyDelete