Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Man In The Mirror


How do you see yourself? They say that how you view yourself will ultimately determine how you live your life. I think I believe that. I’ve been reading lately in 2Samuel. In the events recorded in 2Samuel 7, David tells the prophet Nathan that he wants to build God a house (a temple). God’s message back to David, again through Nathan, includes God’s promise to build David a ‘house’. The reference is to David’s linage which of course becomes a promise of the Messiah who was, you will recall, of the ‘house’ of David.

But in David’s prayer to God in response to this amazing announcement back from the Lord to him (2Sam 7:18-29) David refers to himself no less than 10 times in these 12 verses as ‘your servant’. By this time of course, God has taken David from following sheep to leading the nation but, even as king, David exalts in his role as God’s servant.

And David isn’t alone. Throughout the Old Testament and into the New, we see patriarchs, prophets, priests, kings, disciples and apostles all alike relishing the role of servant of God. This isn’t just a few references. Go ahead and check it out. There are hundreds.

And the same is true coming from the other direction as God seems to share in the delight of calling those He chooses to be ‘His servants’. Again, check it out … “… My servant Abraham… My servant Moses… My servant Caleb…"

God also took the phrase ‘my servant’ and by the lips of Isaiah made it into a messianic title…. “Here is my Servant, whom I uphold, my Chosen One in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on Him and He will bring justice to the nations…. See, my Servant will act wisely; He will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. Just as there were many who were appalled at Him – His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and His form marred beyond human likeness…”

To be a servant is one thing but to be God’s servant, well, that is something else. What an exalted title it is when you put God’s name with it. We are not just servants. We are called to be His servants.

Now honestly, if you take that title, really believing it to be your own, honestly, how do you see yourself? And how do you then live your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment