Thursday, December 3, 2009

Myrtle


Myrtle Kreger died last night. Well, she kind of died. She didn’t actually die because she knew Jesus. She just took a trip, something she has longed to do for quite some time now. She always said that one of the first things she was going to do when she got to heaven was ask Jesus why He took so long. She would have been 99 if she had lived to her next birthday in the spring.

I miss her already. Even though we didn’t get to visit with her as often as I would have liked (that will have to wait for heaven), I have to tell you that Myrtle’s was one place that I always felt welcomed and totally at home. It is kind of hard to describe but visiting her was easy. There are not a lot of places that I can go and feel as accepted and cared for as I did in Myrtle’s home. It was a place where all that was expected of me was just to be there; a place of love and of rest. My wife Florence and I were always made to feel greatly valued and supported whenever we were able to visit. It never felt like work. Even though I was her pastor and even though she always insisted, without fail, that I pray with them before leaving each time, it never felt like anything but sheer comfort and rest to be in her home. It was such a place of peace for me. I remember falling asleep there more than once just visiting. As I say, it is hard to put into words what that has meant to me.

I remember when we returned home to pastor the church here in 1988, when we told Myrtle that we were accepting the call, she got visibly excited and told us that she had been praying that we would come. Her support and encouragement never waned over the years. I have to tell you as a pastor, or leader of any kind, that there is nothing like having people behind you cheering (and praying) like that. Apart from the very affirmation of God, it is the greatest thing on the earth.

I feel so much poorer today with the loss of this sweet, gentle woman out of my life. As they say, our loss is heaven’s gain. What a treasure. What a beautiful woman. Spunky but beautiful. It might sound corny but it feels like the end of an era for me. We love you Myrtle. Keep an eye out for us. We’ll catch up to you some day and it sure will be good to visit with you again.

2 comments:

  1. Myrtle was a very special lady and she will be remebered as lady who knew why the church was really placed on this earth!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this Steve... I had no idea she went home to be with the Lord. Sigh. God must be so happy to have her finally home with him. Sad for us. I know she was one of the most precious ladies I ever knew. I have very fond memories of her.
    Thank you Steve. I wouldn't have known other wise.
    i pray you are well.
    Love you and Florence.
    Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete