Thursday, December 17, 2009

Loosening The Grip

I am not much of a collector but there is one thing that I do sort of collect. I collect quotes. I have a word document where I organize them by topic and that document is presently 28 pages long (at 10 point font).

The other day I heard a quote that I have since added to my list and I want to share it with you:

"The greatest opposition to what God is doing today comes from those who were on the cutting edge of what God was doing yesterday." R.T. Kendall

Now, I don’t know a great deal about R. T. Kendall, but he has put his finger on a facet of human nature that is a fascinating one for sure. When I heard the quote, I had to readily admit that it is quite true, unfortunately. But my second response was to wonder why it is true. What is it about the effects of times passing on us that can cause us to go from jumping right on board in our early years to dragging our feet in the latter ones?

I suspect that, as in so much of life, the answer is anything but simplistic. There could be a number of possible things going on. For one thing, I have observed from my own life, as well as others, that over time, it can just get harder to keep up! Our energy level declines as we age (I’m sounding older than I am), and I’m not just talking about our bodies either. I think this might sometimes be a real factor.

Another reason could be fear. Younger people are quicker to throw caution to the wind, whereas older people tend to (not always but a lot of the time) be much more cautious. Probably one of the major reasons why they have lived long enough to get old!!!

I can think of several other possible factors that may contribute to this human dynamic, but in the end, I’m really only speculating. I don’t really know. It’s a tough one. But, for what it’s worth, here is my best shot – we get attached. As human beings we tend to get attached to things and ways and customs and such. And sometimes, we find it hard to let go even when God is calling us to new things or new ways.

And that is not just an age thing is it? I take some encouragement from the fact that R. T. Kendall is well up into his seventies! And I pray that we all might learn to hold all such things loosely and cling tightly to God alone.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Change. Once we change we tend to think we have "arrived" at the ultimate way of doing things, this does not tend to be true though as we find ourselves called to change again and in our stubborness we cling the old rather than pushing through, once again, to the new. Thus, those quickest to spur on changes in the past become those most stubborn to embrace change in the future (or present).

    ReplyDelete