Thursday, June 4, 2009

Indwelt

I doubt there is a truth in Christianity so outlandishly grand, so amazingly fantastic, so eliciting of wonder and awe, as the doctrine of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the Christian. Just think about it! Spend the rest of your life thinking about it! Ponder its immense cosmic significance! And to think that you and I … It is almost too much isn’t it! I do know that it is really beyond me as a simple writer and speaker to convey it.

You know how every once in a while you stumble across something that you have never seen or read before and it’s like finding a gem on the path. I came across a poem today that I have never seen before and was immediately struck by it’s beauty, both in phrase and in truth. I would have to say it is one of the most beautiful poems I’ve ever seen or heard. I’ve decided to share it with you for that reason so here it is. According to the posting, she wrote it for her pastor. If so, it is an amazing tribute. I would only pray that God might make this true of each one of us who attempt to speak in His Name.


Indwelt

Not only by the words you say
Not only in your deeds confessed
But in the most unconscious way
Is Christ expressed.

Was it a beatific smile,
Or holy light upon your brow?
Oh no, I felt His presence when
You laughed just now.

For me, 'twas not the truth you taught,
To you so clear, to me so dim,
But when you came to me you brought
A sense of Him.

And from your eyes, He beckons me
And from your heart, His love is shed,
Till I lose sight of you
And see the Christ instead.

Beatrice Clelland

No comments:

Post a Comment